Monday, April 2, 2007

Isabella Here I come:Gauge Swatched

I wish I could say that I am a dedicated swatcher (I'm trying). I can never figure out if I am doing it right. Is it the 4'' that I should worry about more or is it the number of stitches I should count. Well hopefully this one is right, because I cast on and am a bit into the project already. This tank top is knit in Rowan 4-ply cotton on number 3 needles. I don't usually go for the color that the pattern is made in, but the yarn store that I shop at has a limited selection of colors and I was impatient and didn't want to wait to purchase it on-line. So I ended up getting lot # 131, which is a lovely shade of green. Any advice on the swatching is much appreciated! Happy Knitting.

4 comments:

Jofrog said...

Oooh, that's such a pretty pattern!

Welcome to the blogging world.

Anonymous said...

I feel like you when it comes to swatches, I never know what's more important, the number of stitches or the inches - but yours looks great, I love the colour as well as the pattern! Happy knitting, and all the best from Austria!

Michele said...

To tell ya the truth, I think both dimensions are equally as important....helpful, huh!? Are you that off? I'd just go for it if your gauge is close enough. Are you still planning on going down a needle size?

Pig wot flies said...

Your gauge swatch is how you find out how many stitches/rows to the inch you are getting. It doesn't matter too much how big your swatch is, although bigger is usually better. It's a good idea to wash and dry your swatch in the way you're going to wsh and dry the finished garment so you can see how it behaves. Then measure how many stitches make up 4" and how many rows and check it against numbers in the pattern. Measure in several places to check consistency. Make sure you're counting along one row or one column, not a diagonal.