Friday, April 13, 2007

Sock Gauge Swatch: Way too Cute

Here is the swatch for Jason's second pair of socks. I am using Lorna's Lace this time (machine washable, yes!), in Gold Hill. This sock yarn is lovely. It is super soft and the color is beautiful.

The first time that I made socks I did my swatch and then decreased my needle size to obtain gage, but I think my husband's first pair of socks would have fit a wee bit better if I had stuck to the larger needles.

So that is what I am doing this time. I am sticking to the 3's for the foot, casting on with 5's and knitting the ankle in 4's. I am knitting a pattern out of Favorite Socks by, interweave knits. It is called 'Undulated Ribboning', by Ann Budd. I would like to ask for help with what k1, p1, k1 all in the same stitch means? I'm sure I should already know how to do this, but I thought I would ask before I screw it up.

Off to knit more Isabella and to cast on for Jason's Sox part deux!

2 comments:

Jofrog said...

Oooh, Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock is my favorite sock yarn! If it is the Shepard Sock, and not Sport, I definitely would not knit it on 3s. It's thinner than most sock yarns and I always knit mine on 1s with 64stitches. If your husband's feet are large, maybe go up to 70 stitches, but not size 3 needles. I don't think you'll be happy with the results.

Bertha said...

I too was wondering how you could manage to knit Shepherd Sock on size 3s, unless you are a super tight knitter! I find Lorna's thinner than most sock yarns and I am a tight knitter and I still have to knit it on 0s or 1s!

That swatch though, it totally is the cutest thing ever!

Hm, I've never seen instructions for doing a k1, p1, and k1 all in one stitch, unless you're supposed to like, knit it, then don't pull it off the needle, purl it, still don't pull it off the needle, then knit it again and THEN pull it off the needle?? But that seems like it might be kind of hard to do, I can't visualize it in my head. I have that book at home, I'll have to take a look at it tonight and maybe I can figure it out if you haven't by then!