It is finished (or at least the first one is). I am pleased with how it turned out, although I should have started working on the toe sooner then I did, but oh well with every sock there is a lesson. After these socks I plan on making myself a pair in the pattern I chose for my sock pal.
And thanks to Anne I have the yarn I am going to use.
I am going to cast on for the 2nd sock soon after this post so hopefully it will go a bit faster now that I have finished one.
With every sock I think I learn a bit more about the Kitchener Stitch, decreasing, and shaping the toe. I do hope that I also get better with each sock, because I want to make sure that the sock that I make for my pal is the best that it can be (don't want to disappoint her).